Corcoran Unified School District is proud to employ some of the most dedicated, talented educators and administrators in California. Students are our number one priority, and we make every decision based on that ideal. Please email any member of our team with your questions or concerns.
Administration & Support Staff
About Rich Merlo
A native of Sanger, Rich Merlo began his career in education in 1977 as a biology and physical education instructor and coach. After teaching in the Bay Area, he returned home to the Central Valley as a biology, physical education instructor, and head football coach at Selma High School. He became Selma’s assistant principal in 1994 and served as principal starting in 1996 for the next eight years. During this time, he was also a part-time instructor at Kings River Community College. He is currently an online instructor for the University of Phoenix.
Since July of 2004, Mr. Merlo has served as superintendent at Corcoran Unified School District. Mr. Merlo is passionate about raising the achievement level of all Corcoran students through “motivating people to motivate students.” A key part of his mission is ensuring staff and students have the most innovative tools and technology available to enhance student learning and to prepare students for success in this Information Age.
- Bachelor’s degree in human biology - Stanford University
- Master of arts in education - Stanford University
- Master of arts in educational administration - Fresno Pacific University, 2001
- Certificate of Completion of the ACSA Superintendent’s Academy - 2004.
- Life credentials in physical education, life science, and health
- Community college credential in physical education and health
Honors and Awards:
- Central Sequoia Football Coach of the Year on two occasions
- Head coach of the County All Star Team - 1985
- Selma Unified School District Teacher of the Year award - 1994
- Named as a Fresno County Administrator of the Year finalist while serving as principal at Selma High School - 1998
- Association of California School Administrators Region 11 Administrator of the Year Award - 2009
- Corcoran Rotary Club
- Corcoran Chamber of Commerce
- Community and Schools Together (CAST)
- Citizens Advisory Committee for California State Prison-Corcoran and Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and Prison at Corcoran
- President’s Advisory Committee for the School of Education at California State University, Fresno
- Executive Leadership Council for Central Valley Educational Leadership Institute
- Rural Schools Network for the Central Valley
- Serves on several educational committees through the Kings County Office of Education
About Elizabeth Mendoza
About Gina Gonzales
Business Department Staff
School Nurse Coordinator / Mental Health Counselor
Licensed Mental Health Clinician
Special Education Secretary